CORRECTIONS TO GREAT COFFEE CAKES
NUT CRUSTED ORANGE POUND CAKE (page 28)
Step 6 should read: Add the “orange zest” and mix….
SOUR CREAM MARBLE CAKE (page 46)
Correct measurement for baking powder should read:
1 ½ teaspoons baking powder
ALMOND CRUNCH STREUSEL (page 351)
Steps 1 & 2 should read:
1. Position the shelf in the lower third of the oven. Heat the oven to 325°F. Line a baking sheet with Silpat or Release aluminum foil. Set aside.
2. Beat the egg white in a small bowl until foamy. Add the sugar and almonds and toss to coat. Spread the almonds on the prepared pan and bake for 10 minutes. Remove from the oven, and using a spatula, turn the almonds over and break up the large pieces as best you can. Bake for another 8 minutes, or until crisp and golden brown. When cool enough to handle, break the nuts into smaller pieces.
BUTTERNUT STREUSEL (page 353)
Makes: Enough for one 10-inch round or 9 x 13 x 2-inch coffee cake
Or 16 –18 muffins
½ cup (1 stick) unsalted butter
½ cup sugar
⅓ cup slivered almonds
¼ teaspoon almond extract
1 ⅓ cups all-purpose flour, spooned in and leveled
⅛ teaspoon salt
1. Place the butter in a heavy-bottomed 3-quart saucepan and heat until almost melted; remove from the heat.
2. Place the sugar, almonds and extract in the work bowl of a food processor fitted with the steel blade. Pulse 6 – 8 times, then process until the almonds are finely chopped. Add the flour and salt and pulse to combine.
3. Empty the almond mixture into the butter, then toss with a fork until crumbs are formed. Gently squeeze the mixture with your hand to form larger lumps, then break them apart with your finger tips. Before using, let the streusel stand at least 10 to 15 minutes.